I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let the Saga Begin

I recently watched the movie "Julie & Julia." I was then asked about my writing career. Shortly followed with advice that a lot of people are making money - as well as getting professionally published - based off of their blogs. I toyed with the idea, but wondered what it is that I can blog about that people will actually want to read. I have another blog, The Obsession Anthology, that seems to have but three readers - all friends. I decided to give up on trying to find a topic that I would consistently write about that people would actually be interested in reading.
-
That's when I continued my wedding planning. I've known my wonderful fiance Remy for almost eight years now - dating for seven this May. We were pre-engaged back in 2004, and he officially proposed June 21, 2009! Yay! ^_^ Anyway, we've been planning our big non-traditional wedding pretty much the whole time we've been dating. Yes, ladies, he's very much involved in the wedding planning! Go me! (er... and him too I guess. ^_^)
-
Anyway, there I was, writing my thoughts, feelings, and progress in my little journal. A keepsake I'm planning on passing down to my children when they are ready to plan their wedding. This way we can't run into the problem of my horrible memory not remembering such things as "How did you save up?" or "Where did you start your planning?" or "Where are the best web sites to check out?" Unfortunately, my maternal grandmother took over my parents' wedding, and so when I had such questions for my mom, in order to give me a bit of a starting point, she had no answers for me.
-
THAT was when it hit me! My mother couldn't help me, I don't have many female friends - let alone married ones - that can give me advice, Remy's sister and parents are in the same boat when it comes to cluelessness, Remy and my wedding isn't exactly "traditional" enough for wedding magazines to be of much help, and so I'm pretty much drifting alone out in the vast space of wedding planning without the help of Mission Control. I wondered if there were any other brides out there like me. Who just needed someone to hand them a compass (a map would help too, but a compass would be a pleasant start). Could I be that kindly Ranger? Could I be the Wedding-Space tour guide? Could I be the one to point things out to brides and go, "yeah, that's a dead end that way" or "Shh... there's a secret passage here, follow me"?
-
I don't want to sound conceited here. I'm no wedding planner. I have just about no clue what I'm doing here. And, contrary to my opening paragraph, I'm not looking for a book deal or for readers to start sending money to a PayPal account. I'm just looking for the reassurance that I CAN write something people WANT to read, and the warm, fuzzy feeling that I helped at least one person out.
-
And so, here I am. I'm restarting the journey and hope to help people out along the way. The start of the road will be bumpy as I figure things out myself, but here's hoping you and I can make it through alright and mostly unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment