I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Attack of the Wedding OOOR... a Blog is Born!

Ok, in an attempt to try to be a little better with this whole blogging thing - and because there is nothing good on TV - I'm posting another journal entry. Go me! Oh, and even though I edited it out, this is the journal entry where I decided to start this blog! YAY!
-
-
Feb 8, 2010
-
I was planning on spending my Friday cleaning and grooming/pampering before going to work at four. However, I ended up spending the day doing some wedding planning. Best laid plans and all.
-
Ok, so there wasn't really any PLANNING going on, but there was organizing! I went back through my "
1001 Ways to Save Money...and Still Have a Dazzling Wedding" book. I had the book littered with mini-post-it notes to highlight ideas. While going back through the book I removed tabs that didn't seem like good ideas anymore; I tabbed ideas that didn't strike my fancy before, but now, with some more planning under my belt, seemed plausible; I refreshed my memory of ideas that always seemed good. I got about two-thirds through the book before getting bored.
-
I then tried to tackle the mass of Bridal Magazine clippings, finally! That was when I realized that not too many of those clippings were actual picture depictions of options. Most were advice columns. What was even better was that I clearly just ripped out the page, assuming I'll eventually need the advice given on it. Most of the questions didn't apply to me at all. Such as: second marriage options, destination weddings, divorced parents, convict siblings, and adult-only weddings. Why did I think I needed advice on any of these topics!? I spent the next few hours clipping the few bits of advice I could actually use and junking everything else. I actually filled a grocery bag of crumpled-up, unwanted clippings. Go me!
-
Further planning was put on hold due to work. The next time I had a chance to talk to Mom I decided to just jump right in and asked about the budget. I just NEEDED to get this sorted out before I could go any further! Remy's parents are on fixed incomes due to retirement and/or disability, and so I knew they couldn't really give us any money - they have less than my mother to spare. Mom is pretty much the only help we have, and I need to know if that help is for a couple hundred or for a couple thousand.
-
Mom just wouldn't respond! She didn't want to quote a value and not find that money when we need it, nor did she want to under quote me and find more money after we found a cheaper option - or something like that. She also confessed that she had no clue on current wedding prices. She also didn't really know all the little things needed for a wedding since her mom took over her wedding. Mom pretty much had no say in her own wedding! My grandma took care of everything! And now Mom's claiming that she doesn't want to do the same thing to me, but at the same time she's not being to helpful of a sounding board! *sigh* And so, aside from a mini-bank, moral support, and free labor, Mom isn't going to be much help in the planning process. All the more reason to keep this record I guess. This way I can help my children, instead of responding to their quandaries with "um, I don't really remember, sorry honey."
-
Anyway, after some teeth-pulling, I got Mom to commit to paying for the ceremony/reception venue (which she thinks is the most important part), and the gown (another key part and traditionally the parent's gift to the bride anyway). So two expenses down; only a few hundred more to go! *groan*
-
OK, so all that went down on Friday. This morning I spent three hours listening to my
"wedding" playlist and writing down some ideas to discuss with Remy when I see him in FOUR DAYS!!!
-
I came up with some ideas for the honeymoon, wedding favors, bridal party attire, my gown, our invites and programs, the cake, reception menu, dessert, transportation, and our wedding and reception flowers. I feel like I've actually accomplished some things now! And so I feel proud of myself, regardless of whether or not I actually DID accomplish anything. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment