I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The First Official Entry!

Bad blogger, taking a mini-break. Actually, I've been doing some wedding stuff, along with pet-sitting for someone. And so I only get about 2 hours on the internet each day and I just didn't have the time to post anything. And if you're curious about what wedding stuff I've been up to, you're going to have to wait. I'm building up to it! But first, I must take you guys back. You must see the start of the journey! Thusly, for the next series of posts I will write them straight out of my wedding journal, complete with dates of the original entries. The first one comes from December 7, 2009. Go hop in your time machine and come join me!
-
-
Dec 7, 2009
-
Finally, an official journal entry! I visited Remy for his 26th birthday this past week. It's amazing to be able to see him! I just came home yesterday and already I miss him so much!
-
Anyway, I'm supposed to be journaling about our wedding progress, right? So that's what I'll do.
-
We spent a majority of the week at The Den (the commuter lounge at the college), the mall, playing Mario Party DS, watching movies, and me watching him play
Dragon Age: Origins. With all the activity, it was hard to fit in the time to talk about the wedding. I managed to do so mainly while he was playing Dragon Age on his Xbox 360. Basically, I'd watch the game's cut scenes and then go back to organizing the bazillion magazine clippings; pausing Remy whenever I wanted his opinion on something. I ended up filling two grocery bags of pages I wanted to throw out!
-
I do feel that Remy and I have a lot of the essentials figured out now. We want a Celtic-themed wedding (thanks to the Handfasting idea). The ceremony will be held outdoors, but the reception will be inside due to our October date (whatever that date may be), and the possibility of cold weather. We want our colors to be deep blue and gold to give a throw-back to
Lycoming College's school colors, since that's where we met. However, we also want the Celtic green (and maybe the October orange). And so we're now thinking the main colors will be the blue and green with gold, orange, and bridal white as accent colors. Is that too many? Another option seems to be keeping the blue and gold, but having Remy and I stand out with the green and white.
-
Along those lines, I had forgotten to write that during the days I spent with Remy after his proposal, one of the things we looked in to (with Celia throwing in her thoughts via AIM) was bridesmaid dresses. Remy's view is to have the girls in
saffron (closest color to gold) and the guys in blue, with Remy and I in green. Neither Celia nor I are sure any of the girls are the right shade to pull off the color, and so I'm thinking that the whole bridal party is in blue with gold accent - like a saffron shawl or sash. I also always thought of having the Lyco-blue accent in my bridal gown, but the Celtic-green might work - I mean, I look good in green. ^_^
-
Since I'm talking about the bridal party garments, I also want to say that we've decided - mainly because Remy hates wearing a tuxedo - that the men will be very Celtic looking (without the kilts; I tried, but Remy won't bite). The men will all wear dress slacks and shoes that they already own (save them some cash), as long as Remy and I approve of the condition the items are in. As for their shirts, the men will wear what is called "
swordsman" style shirts. There is even a local Irish store that makes wonderful quality shirts. To try to tie in (excuse the pun) the gold accent color on the men, we could trade out the cords that lace up the v-neck so that it is a gold instead of the normal black color.
-
Another element we were playing around with was the idea of making a customized stamp that we could use for wax seals on our invites. As mentioned in an earlier entry, we already picked the motif of the rose-wrapped sword. I think it would be really cool to have that as a wax seal! Regardless, we'll have the design somewhere within the invitation, which I will be designing on my computer so I can give it the medieval style fitting a handfasting ceremony. I know it was also mentioned in an earlier entry, but we're also trying to budget for a wedding sword with our names and wedding date engraved into the blade.
-
We decided that we wanted a buffet, but we're not sure on the menu. I've been watching David Tutera's My Fair Wedding on WE Network (with Mom), and he suggests not having heavy food because, just like with Thanksgiving, it will weigh people down, make them drowsy, and will keep them off the dance floor. And since that's where I'm planning on spending the better part of the reception, I want people to join me!
-
Remy and I also decided on a Sweetheart table instead of the traditional Head Table. Also regarding the reception, we know we want a DJ instead of a band. Remy gets to create a "Do Not Play" list and I'm allotted one "group dance" (although I'm trying to negotiate having at least two). Although, I am banned from using either the "
Chicken Dance" or the "Cha Cha Slide." Well, I know I'm definitely using the Electric Slide (some negotiation was already used here - Remy doesn't like that I'd be leaning forward). I was going to have the Cotton Eyed Joe as another group dance, but the song is about a man breaking the hearts of all the women in a town, and causing them to run away - leaving a town of only men. We'll see if I ignore the song meaning and just play it for the fun-factor (well, if I can get Remy to allot me a few more group dance songs ^_^).
-
Just this past week, Remy and I finished three main things dealing with the wedding. The first was the complete bridal party. Remy finished up picking his groomsmen, and we paired everyone up. The second accomplishment was figuring out the entrance music for the bridal party as they enter the reception. A little while ago I had read Remy a blog that I found detailing a gamer-geek's wedding. One of the elements they had used was using iconic games like
Super Mario Bros. or World of Warcraft as their table "numbers." Remy loved the idea so much that he wanted something similar. Therefore, he came up with the idea of having the bridal party introduced with iconic game songs. **The following information has been removed so that wedding guests that are reading won't have the surprised ruined for them. I will try to remember to place it back in once the wedding is over** We didn't talk about the music for our parents when they're introduced. I think we forgot about that part.
-
Well, the last big accomplishment was a finished guest list! Remy wanted to have about sixty guests at our wedding - very tiny and intimate - however, my extended family alone is about fifty, and so Remy agreed to invite a hundred guests. We're still over that count by about ten people, but not everyone will be able to attend, and so we should be fine.
-
-
OK, so that journal entry was a bit all over... Here's hoping the rest are a little more coherent now that I'm reading them later...

No comments:

Post a Comment